Friday, July 2, 2010

Woops Cochabamba

I´m writing from an internet cafe in Cochabamba, the second biggest city in Bolivia. The title, second biggest sounds daunting but it´s a beautiful, lively, and sunny city. For those of you who have been to Argentina, my impression of Cochabamba has been a combination of Salta, Cordoba, and beautiful Bolivia. But I should start at the begining. How did we end up in Cochabamba, good question. Well we headed up north from Salta to Humahuaca, a pretty little town in the mountains with cobblestone streets a very sweet comfortable energy. I loved it there but we only stayed two days before heading up to the Bolivian border. As predicted, crossing the border was a pain and the border towns were really intensly depressed and a bit overwhelming. That night we headed up to Tupiza where we didn´t do much, met some cool people and pretty much just figured out a little bit more of our trip, walked around, playing music, reading and such. We were going to go to the Uyuni salt flats from Tupiza but the tours were really really expensive. So we decided not to do it and just go to the salt flats for free in the US. Not wanting to spend another day in Tupiza, we went right to the bus station to buy a ticket heading northward. So somehow we got the name Cochabama in our heads, thinking that our friend Caro had strongly suggested we go there and probably cause it´s just such a cool name. But the only bus going to Cochabamba was leaving in 20 minutes! So we ran back to the hostel, through all of our stuff into our bags, left a note for our friend and were off!! It wasn´t until hours later, deep into the Bolivian countryside that we realized that in fact Cochabamba was not the place Caro had suggested at all and that the bus ride was going to be 14 hours! Oy and Haa!! How ridiculous, but I dunno, even then it just felt like the right thing to do, it´s pretty much on the way to La Paz anyway. Somehow we didn´t freak out, probably cause it was so ridiculous, it was just too funny.
So yeah! Cochabamba Cochabamba!! The altitude hasn´t been effecting us too much and the sunshine here is beautiful. Oh man and also all of our bus rides have been georgous georgous georgous. I love mountains I really do. I don´t think I´ll be able to post pictures til I get back to Cordoba but man, the scenery here is incredible. Even the city is picturesque with colorful buses, clothes, and fruit. This morning we bought the biggest avacado I´ve ever seen, a papaya, a pineapple and some bread for breakfast. We sat in the sun, watching this little kid play with a bag of peanut shells and started feeling very very content in Bolivia. Oh yeah and also I was taking a picture of a bunch of enormous fruit and the lady selling them got really mad at me and threatened to through a papaya at me and then started laughing. It was pretty funny but they definitely weren´t happy about us being there. She was kidding... only kind of. But mostly people have been pretty nice to us. We have been ripped off but it´s not too bad cause it´s only a matter of cents to us so I go back and forth, getting pissed off about getting ripped off or not. Ok well well well, I suspose thats it! Lots and lots of hugs and kisses from me and Noah!

No comments:

Post a Comment